Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Tale of Two Old Couples

A few hours ago, I was in the NAIA Terminal 3 getting ready to board my flight for Cebu when I noticed an elderly couple, probably both in their late 60's paying at the terminal fee counter. The counter girl asked why the payment for the fee was just for one person, the husband replied that he was just accompanying his wife to the boarding gates. That instantly put a smile on my face. After 30 or more years of being married, this elderly couple has never lost the romance between them. The husband was carrying the wife's belongings before he was finally stopped by the security guard because only passengers were allowed at the pre-departure area. He bade his wife goodbye and while his wife walked away, he was just standing there waiting for his wife to leave his sight. How sweet was that? One day, I'd like to be that old guy. Never losing sight of the important thing in relationships. The romance. When the hot sex is gone, the money is all spent, the body is weak and memory fails you... the romance should always be there.

In contrast, as I was in the tube, another elderly couple was just parallel to my line. I could hear the husband shouting at his wife about some misdirection or misinofrmation fed by the latter. They were traveling with another elderly couple and was also bound for Cebu. They obviously were irritated of eachother. Which is usually the case for most elderly couples. Having the romance well into your twilight years requires a lot of hard work. I began to wonder if this guy was a bad husband from the start and it snowballed and brought the couple to where they are now, both irritated about each other.

That guy can learn a thing or two from the husband who braved the hard parking, the long walk, the flights of escalators, the chaos of the airport and the check-in just to make sure his wife is safe and sound. I guess we can all learn from that guy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment